Community High School District 218 Equity Statement
CHSD 218 believes that excellence for all can only be achieved through equity. Our commitment to equity will be achieved by:
- Preparing all students to succeed in a multi-cultural, global society by ensuring a culturally relevant curriculum.
- Recruiting, hiring, and retaining a diverse staff that more closely reflects the school community in terms of age, cultural background, physical abilities and disabilities, race, religion, sex, and sexual orientation.
- Designing a strategic plan that works to eliminate the racial and socioeconomic predictability of achievement.
- Assuring that all CHSD 218 staff members, with deliberate effort, continue to examine and eliminate institutional beliefs, policies, practices, and teaching that perpetuate racial disparities in achievement.
- Ensuring that equitable distribution of resources across schools is based on individual campus and community needs, and moves away from a “fair is equal” approach.
- Providing all CHSD 218 students with access to resources, opportunities, supports and interventions that maximize academic success and promote social emotional growth.
- Identifying and removing barriers in our current policies, procedures, systems, or practices that limit opportunities for our students.
- Establishing community partnerships (e.g., parents, health and social service agencies, community organizations, business, and universities) to better address the needs of students and families.