Our first high school graduation took place in 1877. Secondary education dates to 1854 at Whittier School, located at 130th Street and Maple Avenue in Blue Island.
Blue Island Community High School, located on Greenwood Avenue in Blue Island, served the entire district for decades. District 218 finished construction of Eisenhower High School in 1950.
On Oct. 23, 1950, General Dwight Eisenhower, then president of Columbia University, spoke at the dedication of the school that had just been constructed at 127th and Sacramento. District 218 renamed Blue Island Community High School for him in 1962.
Richards High School opened in 1965. Named for former Superintendent Dr. Harold L. Richards, who served the district in that capacity from 1935 to 1968. From 1942 until the end of WWII, Reserve Officer Major Richards served in the U.S. Army. His wife, Ruth, served as superintendent in his absence.
Shepard High School opened in 1976. Named for Admiral Alan B. Shepard, the first American in space. On May 5, 2011, the school celebrated the 50th anniversary of his 15-minute suborbital flight aboard the Mercury capsule Freedom 7. Shepard attended the building dedication in 1976.